Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Greatest Artist I Never Heard of

I just replaced the wallpaper on my desktop. It used to be an orangutan baby cuddling with a tiger cub. I thought it was incredibly saccharine and kind of made me laugh, but so many people at work were ACTUALLY struck by how adorable it was and kept stopping to tell me so. It made me uncomfortable and made me realize my irony wasn't being noticed and my appearance of manliness was at stake. This is what I changed it to-

It's an 18th Century French drawing by Michel-Francois Dandre-Bardon, titled An Allegory Comparing Music and Poetry. You really can't get the full effect of it here. So, I highly recommend you go see it. It's a recent aquisition at the Met in Prints and Drawings. Something about the swirling figures, the expressions on all their faces and the fact that, this guy could draw!! makes it one of my new favorite pieces. It's inspired me to drop my classes and start working on my own. Excited? Me too. Stay tuned, you're probaby gonna see some awesome popping up here. I might go so far as to say it'll be FING AWESOME... i mean fing genius. Hey, mom! You reading this blog yet? Leave a comment. I'm your son!

1 comment:

Roxie said...

This guy had four names, was French, and drew swirly figures...i think HE's the one whose manliness is at stake...