Monday, April 30, 2007

Monday at the Met

I've been waiting to use that title for so long. I was really hoping it would be for studies I did of work on view at the Met but, what're you gonna do? Maybe next week you'll see a study of Canova's Perseus with the Head of Medusa. It's kind of tall so it'll probably being looking directly up Perseus' nose.
There's so much opening at the Met recently. Tomorrow, the roof garden opens up for the summer. The installation this year is a group of huge sculptures by Frank Stella. I love the look of these sculptures against that skyline. It's a great view from the roof deck. So, it's hard to look bad up there. Last year's installation didn't really play with the skyline quite as well. Don't get me wrong, I was a big fan of Cai Guo-Giang's installation. It was just more about concept than pure esthetics to me. If you missed Cai Guo-Giang's show there's going to be a retrospective of his work at the Guggenheim in '08. I'm sure it'll be explosive (har har). If you didn't follow the link to see his work, that joke doesn't make sense.

Back to Stella- Now, if you think that the work on the roof garden is a little too stark or industrial, you can go to the Kimmelman Galleries and see some friggin color. I felt like I walked into an exploded comic book.

No comments: